Well, upgrading from openSUSE 10.2 to 10.3 has been a bit brutal. OS Upgrades in Linux are still a far cry from passing the Grandma Test. In the end I found that basically having the installer remove any packages if found conflicts for was the best path. That path ensures that my file system would stay in tact and that all I would have to do is install any missing dependencies after the fact.
OK, so did that. My wirless crap isn’t working for my Intel PRO/Wireless card (probably the subject of another blog entry) but the system is mostly functional. So this morning I got to work and had a customer demo and felt I needed to have the Zend Studio IDE working to be able to make some quick changes on the fly and it would work. When I ran the ZDE executable I was getting the error:
java: xcb_xlib.c:52: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
Luckily Google gave me the answer by producing a link to an entry on Chris Hope’s blog that basically suggested running this fix at a terminal:
sudo sed -i 's/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g' /usr/local/Zend/ZendStudio-5.5.0/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so
To my untrained eye it appears to be doing a VI-like string substitution using FAKEEXTN for the new value. I have clue what it is or what it does but it does fix my problem. If somebody knows what causes this and if there is a ‘better’ fix for this feel free to comment. Hopefully this or Chris’ blog saves somebody a half-hour or so.